Detecting on Durikai

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craigo

Craig
Reaction score
Evening all,

Were staying at Glendon for a week (3 Days in and not a spec :-( ) to test and learn our new Eureka Gold. Firstly an awesome place this Southern Downs area and the camp grounds are Awesome if you just wanna camp with a fire and have your peace and tranquility.

Today we went for a bit of a play around in the Northern End of the Durikai Area. Heaps and heaps of quartz scattered all around what we think is the twin sisters mine site (Two abandoned shafts about 10ft apart all covered in scrap metal with trash to boot) and what are either drainage gullies or remants of old creek beds showing eroded vertical slate beds.

Anyhow, Im able to find a trash signal no problems at all but I'm not sure what tone Im listening for for the yella, Im having trouble keeping a smooth audible tone that doesnt seem to improve with balancing, fast or slow tracking, sensitivity etc etc, I clearly understand how each feature works when detecting in all metal mode but can work out this smooth tone business.......

Anyone experienced able to help out locally or otherwise that have used these in this local area before??

Gday Craigo cant help you with the tones as im still learning to use a GP3500, got ring pulls sorted i think ! I was thinking of heading down to Durikai over the xmas period and would be interested to know how you went with your detector.. are you panning aswell? might be worth a go to see how much fine gold there is too.
Good luck on your hunt hope you get it sorted, im sure others here will be able to assist on the tones.
Rod

Gday Rod, Its only my first time giving it a go, usually we pan but decided to move up in the world, I've also purchased a hand dredge for tidying up cracks and crevices aswell as being able to sample a foot down in creek beds without having to pull a large amount of gravel. We've been at it 3 days, my best finds being a slug and a horse shoe, two targets we walked away from, one was in/under a massive rock in a track the other in a dry creekbed, we gave up after digging 14inches into a ironstone/clay mix that was rather smelly.

Ive got a little more info today - the gold is there, I know it - just gotta find it.

I will add - Ive had the same luck as another camper here - over 3 days with a GPX5000 and he is still empty handed aswell, we had 38mm of rain here monday night, which is starting to dry back out now.

Thanks Craigo, sounds like a beaut spot to be, look forward to more commentary and some pics of all your finds would be great.
keep hunting

No yella finds yet, my girl picked up a couple of specs at the creek down at Durikai but nothing else to report. Were gonna have a pan in the Thanes Ck and maybe a drive to Talgai state forest before going to the Twins again tomorrow.

Mate you should give Bruce a call.
He teaches panning and detecting around Glendon and surrounding areas and is usually out and about the area and will more than likely put you on the right spots to get yourselves gold.
Spend a few hours with him and you'll definitely be more tuned on where the gold is and where it ain't.
I've pm'ed his mobile to you.

I havent got my post count yet for the pm system elrodeo but i had thought of Bruce today, might grab his number off the 'office' table at the house tomorrow. Cheers

No worries.
I've flicked it to you by pm on the QLD prospecting site.
It will be well worth your while contacting him and should see you on the gold.

you will find bruce an awesome guy,,, very accommodating and easy to talk to, ask him anything and he will answer you with any and all knowledge he has.
Say hi to him from us too if ya get a chance, he knows who we are lmao

happy hunting
Steve and Lea

Cheers Fellas, we didnt get a chance to catch up with Bruce opting to a little crevicing in the creek instead - no major find to report. We had a great trip, only to happy spending those extra hours hearing about the golden history of that area setting us up for a better look in 6mths when we head back.

Heading out that way this weekend with the GPX4000 & SDC2300.

Your initial issue seems to be one face by most including myself in not exactly sure what the yellow sounds like...it's funny as it sounds exactly the same a trash yet not as strong in tone or pitch unless it's something large on the surface.

Regarding your toning/balancing, drop back your sensitivity until the tone becomes smooth...it'll make small targets a little harder to hear but even out the noise per say giving you a chance to actually hear a soft target.

I haven't played in the area yet but I've heard dropping back the sensitivity does help as it's quite mineralized out there...we'll see how I fair this wkend.

I'm no expert but that would be what I'd give ago.

I'd assume the Glendon camp ground is a byo camp kitchen type camp ground??