Detecting an old Station Master's House

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Tomorrow morning I'm detecting the old Station Master's House in Denman, it has the original ticket box where train goers would purchase their tickets in the (Est.) early 1900's. The current occupiers have discovered old sun-baking coins and a few antique bottles over the years so it should be a good hunt :D

I'll let you know how I go.

Bugsey, I guess that fair enough considering its your parents place :lol:, but I have to ask why you're making me crawl under the house and not yourself?

Good luck with the hunt nugget. I'm suppose to go down road from here and have a look at what suppose to be an old house site. An elderly was living in it and it burnt down and she never worried about rebuilding it. According to the old bloke this lady had jewellery and coins which wasn't recovered. I'll have to go and have a look to see if this story is true or not. There's going to be heaps of junk!. :) Mick

That sounds like an interesting site mate, hopefully the story turns out true and you find lots of riches :D

The site was a little disappointing in that it was extremely trashy and some parts had been filled with can riddled top soil. I did end up finding a 1958 Sixpence in great condition and a lead headless horseman. I'll post up some pics tomorrow.

Here's a pic of my finds. I also found a few bullets and other junk not included in the pic ;)
1362800993_img_20130309_144907.jpg

That horseman looks old Nugget nice find, I like the old stuff. Can any tell me the easiest way to clean pre-decimal silvers I have a few now, the oldest being 1911 sixpence and a 1917 shilling. I would like to clean them up so I can post photos. Thanks, Rick

Make a paste of water and bi-carb and rub the coin with your fingers, its the best method I've used for cleaning Silvers, anything over 80% cleans up really well whereas the 50% coins tend to tarnish and take a little more work.

I didn't get a chance to clean the sixpence before taking the pic so I'll repost an after shot when I get a chance.

Hey Nugget. I let my silver coins soak for about 10 minutes in CLR clear then use bi-carb soda. Works really well. Have a look at the sixpence I posted today. It was black when it came out of the ground and it's not harsh on the coin. If the staining is really bad give it a couple of goes. A bottle of CLR last for ages as you only need a small amount. Hope this helps.

Latest posts