Re: X-Terra 705 Gold Pack off EBay URGENT Advice Needed

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

katman

Nick
Reaction score
First let me say I am a newbie & did not imagine this would be my first entry!

I have been doing heaps of research everywhere on a first detector and eventually decided on a x-terra 705 over a EuroAce & an F5 for my first outing
mainly due to the possibility of prospecting with it in Central Vic when I become proficient.

Anyway saw a near new unit on Ebay that was well priced but left me wary due to and exaggerated RRP.

Heres the ad:

X-TERRA 705 Metal Detector + Extra Gold Prospecting Coil - Worth $1500 all up
Regrettable sale. Brought 2 months ago, never used BRAND NEW

Thought I better email to confirm some stuff & heres how it went... (at this stage I have omitted names)

Hi, I am interested in this item but some clarification is required.

In the Title Description you say '+ Extra Gold Prospecting Coil'.
What are the details of the extra coil.

You also mention that that the item is worth $1500 all up but the
X-Terra 705 gold pack (pictured & described) only retails for A$850.00?
They also do a dual pack with the standard coil and the DD 10' x 5' Gold Coil
for about A$990.00 retail.

What extras are included in this sale to bring the worth up to $1500.00

Don't get me wrong, this would be a good deal if it sell under your original entry price of $750 but I still would like to know what I am bidding on.

Also do you have the original invoice for any potential warranty issues?
As it does not have the US sticker on the box I assume it was purchased locally.

Thank you.

First Reply from seller...

I brought this 2 months ago for $1500 in queensland whilst on holiday for my partner
Yes i have an invoice. And they do not retail for $849. I looked into buying them one ebay prior and these were non authentic ones from china
all the information is online on there official website for the product

Deleted link to Minelab website

My response...

Glad to hear you have an invoice. Def interested in the unit, but if successful I will pickup & check the security tags
as I am too aware of the kick offs from China.

Link Deleted - You who I'm talkin about.

These guys are Minelab certified, Aust wide & thier largest local dealer.

Please check the price for the Gold Pack.

Anyway I thought I would bid anyway and check it out before parting with any coin.
Well I won and cop the response I got an hour or so ago after the auction...

the invoice is for my private tax use and wont be provided with sale and I do not accept pick up.
would u like me to offer to second winning bid

:eek: Any advice apart from run?

Thanks in Advance!!

Cheers,

Katman

Yep, if it's legit a photo of the receipt shouldn't be too difficult to provide. As above, if he won't provide one I'd abandon the deal.

Thanks for your advice Reeks & Nugget.

Here's my latest reply.

Could you please forward me a photo of the Invoice from the Queensland retailer before I make this decision.
Photos of the security tags on both the box and control unit (with the swing up filter attached to the minelab
counterfeit warning instructions) would also be a great benefit.

Thank you.

I will keep you guys all apprised of the situation.

Cheers,

Katman

I would def say con con (they do not retail for $849) yes they do I got mine for 850 gold pack at Brisbane gold about 6 months ago

IMO scam for sure. Not saying it's a fake, just the price is a HUGE rip-off for that unit second hand.

I'm looking to sell my xterra with a 15" wot coil, rpg headphones and enviro cover if your interested. Still under warranty and in good nick

Latest communication in this saga!

Reply to my request for a photo of invoice/tags

I choose not to provide the invoice as it has my personal details on it and how do i know u wont take it back to the retailer and get the $1500 back for it that I originally paid
I also never stated that it would be provided the invoice at the time of sale
I can 100% guarantee that the item is brand new and not counterfeit

My last words unless this conversation degenerates any further...

I am not interested in your personal details, just the invoice number and the retailer, please blank-out any other info you wish.
I also do not think anyone would accept a return for full refund based on a photo of an invoice.
And obviously if your selling it on eBay for such a loss, either can you.

But I recognise your concerns, can you understand mine?
Every attempt I have made to ascertain if this item is genuine has been stone-walled by yourself.
This alone sets off warning bells.

But I am expected to take your word that the unit is not counterfeit and hand over 750 odd bucks to find out.
I am sorry but I don't know you, you don't know me, if the shoe was on the other foot how would you react in the same situation?

These are your own words: ' I looked into buying them one ebay prior and these were non authentic ones from china'
Can't you see why I am skeptical, as I am potentially buying one on eBay too!

Apparently Minelab counterfeits are rife! If you are not willing to confirm this unit as genuine in some more concrete way such as;

invoice photo as above,

pics of the security labels showing rainbow coloured hidden images -see link:

deleted latest minelab counterfeit link

or possibly meet in a public place somewhere on the peninsula so I can inspect the unit prior to purchase I cannot i good faith commit to the sale.

Minelab has put these security protocols in place, it would be silly of me not to utilise them, and maybe do my dough.

katman

Thanks SA Bogan,

But this whole episode has left me with a foul taste I my mouth.
If I do go ahead with the X-terra 705 now I will probably buy new though a dealer, after I put away I bit more coin.

Thought I was getting myself a good deal at a few bucks shy of the model number, but sometimes this is not the case eh?

Although the Coiltek coil does appeal! I was thinking of buying the 15" X-terra All Terrain 18.75 kHz sometime down the track with the money I saved.

When you say 15" WOT do you mean the 15" X-terra All Terrain or the MK11?
Also what kHz is your coil?

How does it compare to the two standard coils that come with either unit?

Cheers,

Katman

katman
maybe you should put this blokes e-bay user name on here to warn other forum members about this detector.
regards tm

To be quite frank, a private seller can put whatever price up on ebay, regardless of the recommended retail price, if people fall for it, then they simply are gullible and have not done any research on the product they are purchasing. You have to be very careful reading descriptions, every detail, and always ask all questions BEFORE bidding - if ANYTHING seems unusual or out of the norm, simply don't bid, it's not the last detector to be sold on ebay. :)

Personal guarantees mean squat, and I think you are lucky he agreed to pass on the offer to another bidder. Buying from ebay doesn't have to leave you with a bad taste in you mouth, but research is paramount, especially with the newer more commonly copied detectors, rather than the older units. I have never had an issue buying gear off ebay, but sometimes the signs are pretty obvious, things like no reserve auctions on new minelab detectors, people with little or no feedback seller brand new detectors, poor or non-existent communication, refusal to show photos/receipts/serial no.s or badly photographed, no pictures of the actual product (generic minelab pics), really bad spelling or broken english (can indicate listing was from a chinese seller), COD for detectors - once they have your money, they run! The dodgy sellers reinvent themselves after either being threatened, close down by ebay, or publically shamed on forums, they soon re-emerge under a new user name, usually with only a couple of good feedbacks from buying a couple of cheap chinese items. :rolleyes:

Same goes for Gumtree, just a bit worse than ebay with less buyer protection. Often have people selling detectors from supposed stores, last one I saw was in WA selling Teknetics detectors out of Perth, WA. I looked up the business name and address and it simply did not exist - danger will robinson! :cool:

It dosn't matter what I buy, car, fridge, detector, TV, or any reasonably big ticket item.
I always buy locally.
Sometimes it means paying a few dollars more.
But I like to inspect items before purchase, and pay in person.
If something should go astray I then have a door to knock on and someone to look in the eye.

Save your cash and either get a new one (paid around $850 for dual pack at Anaconda - special 25% off for members, signed up on the day) or get a second hand one from one of the regular contributors.
Some of the facebook groups (prospecting/gold/etc) may also be a good source from reliable sellers.
They are a nice reasonably simple entry level detector .... don't expect to find gold with mine but great fun at the beach and old parks and such.
Cheers Tom

As I said earlier that I'm willing to sell mine even without the wot coil. I'd be willing to let it go with the head phones and enviro cover for $850

Redfin said:
It dosn't matter what I buy, car, fridge, detector, TV, or any reasonably big ticket item.
I always buy locally.
Sometimes it means paying a few dollars more.
But I like to inspect items before purchase, and pay in person.
If something should go astray I then have a door to knock on and someone to look in the eye.
Couldn't agree more. Plus if you live local your supporting another local, which we should all do when we can. As a previous small business owner every transaction helps. And more than likely if you keep going back the pricing tends to get better. its something we don't always think about, the thrill of the bargain can often leave the local guy flailing.

Seen my mate use his couple of weeks ago in mineralised ground
ouch go for a 2100 up s/h dude .that's if your looking for gold unless
Your in a creek area or looking for coin. If your interested in s/h ring
a dealer like miners den or coil tech or bendigo gold etc they always have
units and back up.Dr

Status
Not open for further replies.