2013 finds TassieJack

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TassieJack

Jack
Reaction score
I have had two terrific finds over the last few days, this is the first one.
A fairy, made of pewter found in a school site that was open from 1880 to 1970.

DSC09019_zpsfca3caa4.jpg

and did i mention she is a heavy little fairy
DSC09034_zps33bba4a1.jpg

Not more than 48 hours after turning up a fairy i dug up my a ring, this is my first ring found with a T2 SE machine, have found a couple of less value with AT Pro.
Scandia Sterling 9ct mens ring, dug up on edge of football/cricket oval.

heyring_zps1a0482b4.jpg

This British Horse Society closed down and left Tasmania i believe in 1954, the pony club oval i found this on restarted a horse/pony club in 1976. I have been trying for a week now to locate a member of current pony club to see if they want a bit of local history back, maybe to put up on the wall. I do like to return finds to there owners when possible.

DSC08987_zpse7542a49.jpg

she missing her wings, has a square hole in the back and i am still searching around to find the wings. the heart is a ruby which is really nice.

I did not know for the life of me what this was, I took it to the local museum after i got some youtube feedback that it looked like a musket trigger guard.
The local museum then forwarded me onto the state museum who in turn sent me to the military historian at Anglesea barracks. After a week had it confirmed as a trigger guard, but more likely from a commercial weapon sold after 1870s to the pioneer farmers of the district as part of there land grants.
I dug it up in a 1828 to 1834 manor site, that had a handful of cottages around a manor on the edge of the colony, was a staging post for shepherds to venture out from down the west coast of Tasmania and a save place to retreat too when under attack, which was almost daily at that time and up until the 1870s was a camping site for both hunters and pioneer farmers.
Site now buried in the forest, but a worth while site to hunt for relics.

[video=480,360]http://youtu.be/0CugFYp595A[/video]

Interesting story mate. I spend quite a bit of time detecting gold in Tassie, will have to try for some relics when I am down there at Xmas time with the new ctx3030.

DD