Your thoughts about $2 and $1 coins ratio?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pedro

Peter hill
Reaction score
When I don't have time to travel to an out of town site or I only want a quick hunt I will often go to the local parks or sporting grounds and hunt for goldies. What I have noticed is that on nearly all hunts I seem to find about two $2 to every $1 coin. Now, is this because the $2 coin is smaller and fairly heavy and gets hidden easier whereas the $1 is easier seen when it is dropped. Am I missing the $1 coins because of my detector/settings? I would guess that on the beach the result would be different because once a coin hits the sand it is gone until someone with a detector comes along. Anyway I would love to hear what everyones thoughts are and if they have similar results.

That's an interesting question. I think you're onto something as I'm the same. I tend to find more $2 coins compared $1 coins. Dunno. I think it's to do with the weight & the break up of notes when being spent. Think about the easiest way to break up a $10 note into coins.

I find the same thing with the older coins, seem to find more copper than silver. My guess is that shiny silver coins were easier to spot on the surface than the copper ones. Either way I'm happy to find more $2 coins than $1 coins :lol:

Latest posts